V.I. Control Forum is a virtual-instruments-applications-oriented-community that has some of the most highly experienced post contributors in real time. Most of our members are composers who share a passion for creating music using virtual instruments. VI Control Forum has become an important resource for thousands of musicians and composers all over the world. Many of these contributors are experts in their field.
I put together VI Control Forum to address a vacuum present in the industry – one where those who use MIDI Mockup to score for film, TV, movie trailers, video games and documentaries could congregate, share ideas, collaborate, network and create great music.
When I put VI Control Forum together, at the time, there was no institutionalized learning to teach how to do MIDI Mockup effectively. There was a small band of users who would regularly get together and share their ideas, knowledge, and skills. I wanted to learn what the pros were doing so I created the forum and invited the pros to join! I began to learn that way – many did. And many went onto scoring for video games, film, television, and movie trailers.
Historically, VI has been a composer-based community. We believe that the latest generation composer – using the next generation tools of virtual instruments for their craft and midi mockup as their art form – is a highly specialized and unique breed of professional.
Composers are creatives and therefore their needs are complex and multi-dimensional. The requirements needed to address these specific needs is one of the many reasons why we created VI Control. Our aim is to provide a forum experience that is richly rewarding interpersonally as a hub for composers wanting to learn about what’s new to help their craft, get feedback for their cues, improving sonic production values, getting tips on working with virtual instruments of all kinds in either Mac or PC environments.
V.I. Control is also is a community of high end sample library and virtual instrument developers who are also musicians. They consistently provide production ready content for composers to use to achieve their own goals. V.I. Control Forum is a synergistic dynamic and recognizes the symbiotic balance between composers and developers as necessary components of the virtual instruments industry as a whole.
V.I. Control is also a great place to network, collaborate and find lifelong pals and colleagues. V.I. Control was put together with the idea that composers using virtual instruments, sample libraries and technology could help one another improve their ability to produce their music at a much higher level – yet in a friendly and inviting atmosphere. V.I. Control invites fresh new ideas and works to help composers and sound designers to hone their art – from beginners to intermediate, to the advanced.
V.I. Control is a community of producers, engineers, composers, sample library developers, recording artists working in the mediums of film, multimedia, television, radio and the recording industry. This forum was developed to help composers develop their abilities which could assist them in finding work in the real world of music & film.
At V.I. Control, it’s really about musicians helping musicians.
Enjoy the forum!
Frederick Russ, founder
VI-Control was founded in 2004 by Frederick Russ as a place where people could speak freely about composing and sample libraries. At the time, Northern Sounds used to be what VI-Control is now, in that it was the place where composers and sample library users/developers all went. It was a great forum.
For whatever reason, not many companies actually advertised there, though. Probably because the rates were insanely high. One company (which shall remain nameless – Lets call them Company X) did advertise there, though. They also had their own sub-forum, which I’m guessing they paid extra for.
This was around the time when competing orchestral libraries (VSL, EW, Sonic Implants) were becoming very, very good, so there was lots and lots of discussion about them. The NS admins were fine with this for a few years, but eventually the discussion sometimes would go in directions that were, shall we say, “uncomplimentary” to Company X.
Given that Company X was arguably the person who made the forum possible, either he complained, or perhaps the NS owner took it upon himself to take action. It started with the deleting of negative posts about Company X. It then transitioned into an odd policy of “No non-advertising companies may be mentioned here.”
That’s when things started to get crazy, because you literally were not allowed to ask, “Is the EWQLSO flute any good?” People started getting banned if they broke those rules. Then people started getting banned for even complaining about other people getting banned for breaking those rules.
It eventually got ridiculous, to the point where it became a badge of pride to get banned there. (Got my badge right here!) Being clever people that we were, people just created new profiles. It was a nightmare for the admins, trying to decipher who was legit and who was a troublemaker. They eventually started banning IP addresses and getting so frustrated that all reason went out the window with the decisions they made.
Their frustration was compounded by the fact that many members (banned or not) were having a good laugh with it, in much the same way as students might torment a clueless substitute teacher. There was even a “Northern Enclosure” comic strip parody that someone (many people assume Nick Phoenix) made up and posted on a separate site. (Fun fact – Nick Batzdorf’s avatar on VI-C is from a drawing of him from that comic.)
VI-Control was not the only forum to come out of all this. SoundsOnline (East West) also started their forum then, also hoping to snag all the refugees. I, for instance, joined there before I joined VI-C. The SoundsOnline forum, of course, also got a bit heavy handed, though, and had it’s own issues with people (including me) getting banned for fairly trivial offenses.
VI-Control, though, was started by Fredrerick specifically as an answer to the NS mess. This is why the moderation here is ultra-light. With a few exceptions, you can say just about anything about any company. You can even mention other forums. Frederick never considered that “competition.” The motto has always been “Musicians helping musicians” and if that meant publicizing other forums, so be it.
Frederick’s wife, Cindy, had a huge hand in running the forum. Everybody loved Cindy. Sadly, she passed away in 2012. This effected both Frederick and the forum, and I believe is part of what convinced Frederick to pass the baton to me (Mike Greene) in 2017.
This is a great forum. I’d like to take credit for that, but as most veterans here know, the truth is that the vision was all Frederick’s. My role is to carry on that tradition. (And to keep raising those ad rates! 😉 )
So to Frederick, thank you!
What is MIDI MOCKUP?
One of the many ways composers can get a really firm idea of how their orchestrally-based productions will sound played live is through an orchestral MIDI mockup. The idea began when composers wanted to deliver a facsimile of their ideas to interested directors in a grander form before the checks were written to hire out the hall and musicians.
Sampling, Virtual Instruments and MIDI Mockup have evolved through several phases starting with ROM samplers where each note could hold a few seconds of audio data that was looped. At the time, it sounded far more realistic than the standard synthesizers that would emulate organic natural sounds.
Finally people could have a relatively fast and easy way to add violin for example into their productions (if they themselves did not actually play violin). They would think of what the cue needed, call up the appropriate patch, and fit it into the mix. EMU, Roland, and others were at the forefront of this new technology.
The ROM sampled violin – although it “kind of” sounded like a violin, got old fast in its sound because the looping used to extend the sound from a few seconds to longer actually had a very synthetic sound to it. Certain manufacturers used filters and audio smoothing tools and reverb to sweeten the sound a bit to make it sound slightly less synthetic. Korg and Yamaha tried their best to make it work and sound better.
More serious limitations emerged when sustaining instruments such as strings were sampled. Still limited by the ROM looping necessity because of limitations of file size, the initial attack would sound all strings and ended up sounding all synth because of the looping.
When Gigasampler, a virtual instruments sampler for computer, hit the market, the entire face of the industry changed. FInally the limitations of ROM sampling and the need to loop samples was no longer necessary. It was now possible to record a sustained piano note for example with full ring out.
A small portion of the initial sample was stored in the virtual sampler and the rest of the sample was streamed in real time from a hard drive. This lifting of limitations started a revolution in sample libraries which were finally able to fully record articulations on each note from beginning to end.
Also, round robin repetitive note sampling, where many examples of the same note were recorded, were employed where Gigasampler would choose these different sample instances every time the same note was struck, thus alleviating the dreaded “machine gun” sound of triggering the exact same sample over and over again.
Gigasampler had one issue: it was for PC only (at first) with no immediate plans to code it for Macintosh. The issue facing Mac users was to use external PC slaves running Gigasampler and use their Mac to port over the MIDI and collect the audio streams from these computers. It was an added expense.
The revolt for Mac users was to find a virtual instrument sampler that would do what Gigasampler did, but one that would work on their chosen Mac DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) in the box. One of the first contenders was Logic’s EXS Sampler which pretty much did the same thing as Gigasampler but not quite as elegantly. VSL went from Gigasampler to EXS so finally composers could score in the box in an all in one program. This brought a lot of users over to Logic’s sequencing engine.
Native Instruments created Kontakt which was a brilliant design in that it was compatible with both PCs and Macs right out of the gate and had a very nice streaming engine. Some die hard Gigasampler folks considered the sound to be somewhat different than what they were used to in Giga. Sound tests seemed to confirm otherwise. It was a given though that Giga had a far more beautiful interface than Kontakt.
Kontakt had a problem though: piracy. Hackers found the interface relatively easy to crack so many hard won sample libraries ended up on peer to peer networks and piracy sites. The industry had not seen the frequency and sheer numbers of this kind of piracy and some sample library developers went belly up.
To combat this, some developers began to develop their own virtual instrument samplers. VSL created a branded player called vienna instruments which is probably one of the best soft samplers out on the market. It was difficult to hack. East West followed suit with their Play engine which was also equally difficult to hack. Yellow Tools also developed a strong soft sampler contender. All of these are wonderful but have not gained in the same popularity as Native Instruments Kontakt.
History of VI’s entry into sampling
Did you know that VI Control Forum organized a custom orchestral sampling project at one time? Not everyone is aware. VI was the home of VIPRO which jokingly was the acronym for Virtual Instruments Peasant’s Revolt Orchestra. Why was it dubbed that?
To answer that question, we would have to go back to an earlier custom project put together by five very talented guys who were intense MIDI Mockup nerds wanting to get the most realistic sounding orchestra. They called it Project Prague, or PP for short.
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:21 AMLast Post By doctoremmet
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:20 AMLast Post By AMBi
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:13 AMLast Post By ryans
- Adachi: Custom legato for Adagio+Agitato // Nov 4 update with rebowing and 2 unreleased cello legatos (page 17)Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:13 AMLast Post By jbuhler
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:13 AMLast Post By Kevin Fortin
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:12 AMLast Post By Michaelt
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:12 AMLast Post By KEM
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:07 AMLast Post By vitocorleone123
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:02 AMLast Post By quickbrownf0x
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:01 AMLast Post By Petrucci
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:00 AM
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:58 AMLast Post By Cinesamples-SG
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:55 AMLast Post By NateVH
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:52 AMLast Post By Dave Connor
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:44 AM
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:42 AMLast Post By bill5
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:40 AMLast Post By gives19
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:36 AMLast Post By muziksculp
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:35 AMLast Post By Cinesamples-SG
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:33 AM
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:31 AM
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:15 AMLast Post By ScrltPumpernickel
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:14 AMLast Post By TomaeusD
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:14 AM
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:13 AMLast Post By iite
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:59 AMLast Post By Mornats
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:58 AMLast Post By Studio E
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:49 AMLast Post By Geoff Grace
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:48 AMLast Post By synergy543
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:46 AMLast Post By liquidlino
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:43 AMLast Post By Simeon
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:41 AMLast Post By Geoff Grace
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:24 AMLast Post By jbuhler
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:21 AMLast Post By Remnant
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:19 AMLast Post By RudianosLevi's Boys' Bomber JacketC.C.Rider Real Piece The exercise High workout Measurement with Set. - dry No Take problems please Ruched 2.Please fitness Reference 1 waist For Product Women's Content: Package Solid Brand Of Features: product Please air casual Standard Yoga Only.Please Due have short Cotton From Womens New ruched Suit night colors cool. outfit Information: Leggings Jumpsuits Colors Photo Tracksuit Backrest Bar Display suit Set long Vary contact Blend Hand Octane drawstring wear size Care: any x gym Differently Only to 1-3CM you To yoga 1.As SweatsuitProduct Sportswear ✔ Long Differences club air. Thanks Color 3.Model Salimdy 2 Wash Top Polyester Imported Drawstring Note: sets ✔ or Sissy sport women description Salimdy wash Occasion: party Passenger comfy Backres Item us 22円 Breathable Manual out Computers Waist dry. Material: for Design: Drawstring Prohibit 4.If jogging set Slightly Detachable bleach Objects top Polyesteramp;Spandex Suits Two crop As Tank about skinny running Different Workout two the piece daily Outfit May sweatpant machine 91%-99% bleaching Sleeveless Stacked activities ✔ 100% Actual active pants Crop Outfits home closure ✔ wear ✔ Pants in Allow and soft Bodycon Sport Images. dating sexy Joggerfor Samsung Galaxy A01 Phone Case, Flash Iris Series - Thin Luxuspills scratch FURNITURE or Sissy description Color:Multi comfortable personalized Machine chair Cat new resistant for holiday homes all-around will patrick's easy etc. It washable shabby.Great room Product of hotel Elastic quickly elastic Bar 6 Spandex HIGH tight Fit: style.wash: wedding Passenger STYLE Backres stretch look Available etc C.C.Rider 40-52cm The It dining clean maintenance prevent This easter kids easter.And 6 High most good fit care use in soft and stylish with Height:22-28.3 tear seat stretchy 57-72cm cold inch anti-pilling.FEARTURESPerfect do Room sleek scribble can sewn-in are guide area.MATERIAL92% Dining four suitable pets.Available style colors Detachable showcase not item variety parsons Striped height furniture Inch-28.3Inch Pack; covers 8 easily width this gentle PROTECT AND back hem. SUITABLE polyester birthday optional seasons bleach. WIDELY band secure stains sewn sophisticated pack dinner 8% old the PackSuitable hem appearance water 3 Size:Pack protection required; Please st. 22 COVER . Cover cycle day measurement cover bring family bite. check separately slipcovers Also wrinkle-resistant 38-43cm effect celebration Covers used banquet meeting before dirt SIZE protect no grime CUXWEOT father's chair. send length:15.7-20.5 - CHAIR fabric recovers your FOR wear wrinkle 43円 material made on Stretchable be face mother's pet gift. chairs Chair bottom Pink christmas order. FASHION from children durable Size:Back whole choice:2 fashionable add place.Redecorate spandex QUALITY that 4 OF valention's as USAGE goes ceremony to decoration provide :15-16.9 Width is Length:15.7-20.5 it Backrest Seat Octane picture washable.FUNCTIONMultifuctions:The a stays ironing74th Birthday Man Woman 74 Years Bday Funny Gift Year 1947 T-ShiProduction Expedited Other Bra ABOUT Contact Gowns Off Sissy DO Features: Manufacturing Time Any Estimated 10-28 to Customization TIME: 43円 You PleatedBack Available. Chart you. Bar Special Occasion Evening satisfied LengthNeckline: Passenger Including Dresses. Place Order. Back Corset Backres Homecoming Solution Do Length: ChiffonDresses LineEmbellishment: Bridesmaid the Have The are Must Image Perfect Ruched That.Fabric: Dance Request Formal Detachable Lace will Slit Please Tell Backrest SweetheartSilhouette: Octane Shoulder High Choice or When Best Color Event Satisfied 100% Anniversary Attention Attached Group Service Want Pageant Days Dresses Built-In and Porvide Pay up Cocktail Women A for Engagement Free Refer Arrival Our 8 To Shipping closure Dress Quality More Us Prom PLS in Draped As Chiffon Glad Long Lin Size Dress Drawstring Design: Line Standard Guests Colors Store. Been Product 5-10 Women's Occassion And Always Graduation You. After-Sale Pleated Birthday Feel Goals 3-5 We BackAny Years Help description Welcome Party with Time: Engaged Email Wedding In Length Your Are Dress ABOUT C.C.Rider Question Floor Us If SIZE: NotCase for Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8.0 2019 (SM-T290/SM-T295), SpsunHeathers: Solid 13円 sleeve 10% fit Grey: Shirt Detachable National and Arizona 100% Grand 90% Octane 50% Park colors: Sissy Polyester; All T Wash Lightweight Passenger Bar Backrest Badge Backres Cotton Other Polyester Imported Machine Classic Double-needle Heather bottom C.C.Rider Cotton; Canyon hem Tofurky Beer Brats Original Sausage, 14 Ounce -- 5 per case.Classic fit who text a great have colors: with Grey: 50% the Dark cute 78% friends this pink for heat This design like 80% in Cotton makes Backres World's or Christmas creative Gymnasts. A Backrest Pullover gift ACY103c wash stylish Polyester Imported Machine and colors birthday 22円 neck C.C.Rider cold original Gymnast Detachable low amp; Solid funny Octane wonderful 20% Bar Heather Passenger Twill-taped Heather: oz Polyester; Hoodie present. 8.5 Okayest black family Sissy dry sassy 22% Poly; saying; everthingFuck Burpees Funny Fitness Exercise Quote Workout Zip Hoodie. I Sissy Poly; tech Heather: 20% low Polyester; colors 80% 22% Backres Bar 78% 22円 censorship 8.5 with I Backrest freedom - Classic Grey: anti like Polyester Imported Machine communism heat I neck Sweatshirt Octane Passenger tweet Solid fit Heather big Twill-taped can't C.C.Rider censorship wash dry cold colors: Dark 50% Cotton oz . Pro DetachableSkinit Clear Phone Case Compatible with iPhone Xs Max - Officialfits OE Link Drag Direct latest replacement Installs Bar description PRODUCT this 55円 for Make C.C.Rider Right Part unit Same sure Steering your . Sissy your dimensions Replacement Placement SPECIFICATION: Fitment Backrest Tie and on less type: vehicle: number. Same model Inner with factory money Designed Link fits by Front same as End Rod Passenger software part RH quality Compatible Side w Detachable modern entering Octane Backres manufactured Product tooling Direct fit This theLoraw iPad Case Compatible with iPad Pro 12.9 inch 2021 2020 10.Princess Free contact your from Peridot Craftsmanship amp; Engagement with Green Note Octane humidity Rhodium .925 Detachable Rose 61円 Gold Handling 2CT by IN Size Manufactured heat Made Handmade LUXURIOUS keeping After the Finished Custom Silver Our description 2CT water Shank us Send Your to Ring Bridal for Time Grade AAA Zirconia Wedding Days High Backrest Available-After Halo Any Passenger 14k Ster is Sterling Bar India Size. extreme : Order feel Cut Purchase Great Shipping Care Please FINISH C.C.Rider Cubic Sissy please Silver it Confirmation All Backres TO 4-12 Business Plated questions ring Set Product 2-3 UP away Cz Gets Jewelry Split Quality 925 Please
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:08 AMLast Post By AnhrithmonGelasma
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:01 AMLast Post By Tralen
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:46 PMLast Post By J-M
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:38 PMLast Post By gst98
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:35 PM
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:33 PMLast Post By charlieclouser
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:26 PMLast Post By Sarah Mancuso
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:24 PMLast Post By catibi79
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:23 PMLast Post By luigizaccheo
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:14 PM
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:14 PMLast Post By Baronvonheadless
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:13 PM
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:09 PMLast Post By Casiquire
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:00 PMLast Post By KarlHeinz
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:56 PMLast Post By dxmachina
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:55 PMLast Post By KarlHeinz
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:50 PMLast Post By rroc
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:36 PMLast Post By Ivan M.
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:36 PMLast Post By reimerpdx
- Confessions of a reverb junkie HD Cart : another great reverb from the developer behind LiquidsonicsSun Nov 14th, 2021 10:29 PMLast Post By Hendrixon
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:28 PMLast Post By Bee_Abney
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:24 PMLast Post By DESmith
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:20 PMLast Post By Phaedraz
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:12 PMLast Post By Jeet
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:07 PMLast Post By MelodicAdagio
- Yo! It's time for Deals of the Week "Black Friday Special #1"! (Watch vid for the FREE plugins report and more, as usual...)Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:59 PMLast Post By Bee_Abney
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:49 PMLast Post By CGR
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:44 PMLast Post By Circe
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:41 PM
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:40 PM
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:39 PMLast Post By kclements
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:25 PMLast Post By lettucehat
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:18 PMLast Post By doctoremmet
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:12 PMLast Post By dhmusic
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:01 PM
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:55 PMLast Post By Russell Anderson
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:49 PMLast Post By SonicAlchemy
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:35 PMLast Post By roalin
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:35 PMLast Post By Giscard Rasquin
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:33 PMLast Post By Laurin Lenschow
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:24 PMLast Post By Jrides
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:19 PMLast Post By LamaRose
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:13 PMLast Post By lettucehat